It is not necessarily because they are less inferior or didn't do the groundwork. Even very prominent names in business software get compromised. Hackers are very clever and can find the smallest oversight or vulnerability and take advantage of that.
What Is Security In Software
Software security in its basic form is the function of keeping information protected. Not only the protection of the codebase of the software itself, but the security of the data of the users and the information they generate and input. Security should be part of the structure of the software system itself, built from the initial concept and not after the fact. Prevention is better than cure.
Some of the most common attacks or breaches occur with theft of data (eg personal information or passwords), code injections (ie SQL or loading malware or viruses etc), taking advantage of insecure protocols such as open/public APIs, DDOS attacks (overloading the system so users are shut out).
Ways Custom Software is Potentially More Robust
Acquiring custom software for your business might be a good option to keep your data more secure as it has typically been built from the ground up. The developers can research the best security to build (or security-library to invest in) for the purpose of the software by understanding the data it will house. They are as invested in your data security as they are in their reputation. Security will be at the forefront of their build should they wish to thrive and succeed in business in the future.
What Businesses Should Look For When Investing in Custom Software Agencies
- Identifies Data - An agency that takes the time to seek to understand the sensitivity of the information their software will be handling to correctly classify its potential vulnerabilities & risks.
- Track Record - A proven track record with software builds for sensitive data.
- Use of Cloud-based Software - Developers that use, or have experience with cloud-based software typically have more experience with encryption and masking confidential data simply due to the nature of Cloud computing.
- Maintenance - Software maintenance & security updates post handover. Security threats evolve, your software should be kept up to date to withstand new threats.
- Backup & Recovery - Ideally synchronised replications, daily back-ups and/or point-in-time-recovery (PITR) in case of needing to revert the application to the desired state if needed.
- Training - Staff training for your business. Security is a two-way street. The more aware your own staff are, the better the software can protect them. (Think phishing attacks.)
- Testing - Test the software ruthlessly for security violations and use a number of methods to test including automated security testing tools. Bugs are expected, but flaws are inexcusable.
- Platform Security Protocol - Determine the protocol and/or process for handling the security of the platform where the software will live, it’s often overlooked. Whether it’s the Cloud-based virtual servers or the desktop PC of users.
Platinum Software takes software security very seriously. Our systems deal primarily with user information, financial data and more. Our clients depend on the reliability of our systems for their security. We take the extra time needed to ensure a safe and secure environment for your data. Speak to us today about your custom software requirements.